The Federal University Gashua is one of the 12 new Universities established 6 years ago, by the Federal Government to bridge the gap of University education in all States of the Federation, which hitherto had no Federal Universities. The University, which took off in 2014 started off with a remedial studies programmes and later with academic programmes in Arts, Science and Agriculture which had 21 programmes in all. The Centre for Irrigation and Desertification Studies (CIDS) also commenced operation from inception.
The Vision of the University is, “to be a leading Centre of Excellence distinguished by its innovative and competitive approach to teaching, learning, research and service to humanity”, therefore, it intends to he ranked among the best Universities world-wide.
The post of the Vice-Chancellor of the Federal University Gashua, Yobe State, Nigeria, will become vacant by 10th February, 2021. In accordance with the provisions of the Universities (Miscellaneous Provisions) Decree No. 11 of 1993 (as Amended by Decree No. 25 of 1996) and by the Universities (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act, 1993 (Amendment) Act 2003 and Act 2012, the Governing Council of the Federal University Gashua wishes to commence the process of filling the vacant position below:
Job Title: Vice-Chancellor
Location: Gashua, Yobe
- The Vice-Chancellor is the Chief Academic and Executive Officer of the University and Chairman of the Senate and Congregation and Member of the University Governing Council.
- He shall exercise general supervision over the University and shall have general responsibility to Council for maintaining peace, law and order and promoting efficiency in the University.
- It shall be the duty of the Vice-Chancellor to ensure that the provisions of the Law and Statutes, Ordinances and Regulations of the University are observed.
- He shall also exercise such powers as may be necessary or expedient for this purpose.
- The Candidate for the post of the Vice-Chancellor must possess a good University education from a recognized University and should be of impeccable character, a good manager of human and material resources.
Specifically, the Candidate shall be expected to:
- Should have had a continuous unbroken twenty (20) years of teaching and research in the university system;
- Be a highly distinguished Scholar of the rank of Professor of not less than Seven (7) years experience on that rank and demonstrate the ability to provide academic and administrative leadership with a clear vision for the development of the young and budding institution for the realisation of its mission;
- Be proficient in IT and be current in deploying it at the level required for efficient job performance;
- He / she should have had a wide administrative experience and be capable of giving dynamic leadership with a thorough working knowledge of Nigeria’s educational system;
- Be a person who will strengthen the bridges between staff, students and other members of the University community;
- Be one with high scholastic and academic credentials who must have outstanding accomplishment in academic and demonstrate continuous scholarship after his / her promotion to the rank of Professor in terms of continuous production of academic papers, student supervision (especially Masters and PhD), exchanges and collaborations both local, national and international;
- He / she must also have a subsisting teaching or research position in a University
- Have both national and international reputation as a scholar, particularly in Universities both in Nigeria and abroad in such areas as sabbatical, supervision and examination of postgraduate students and international consultancy;
- Be a person who is not likely to foster personal, racial, ethnic, political, religious or other sectional interest;
- Be a person who commands respect at national and international academic circles with academic track record, eg. publications;
- Exhibit a demonstrable entrepreneurial drive and ability to attract the much-needed funds and mobilize other resources for the development of the University;
- Be free from any form of financial embarrassment;
- Be of good physical and mental health;
- Have a wide and deep experience in all facets of university administration with emphasis on academic programmes;
- Be not more than sixty-five (65) years of age on the 10th February, 2021;
- Be morally sound and proven integrity
- Be someone who appreciates and acts on merit and who will resist undue pressure;
- He / She should submit a short statement of his/her vision for the University, not exceeding 1,000 words.
Terms and Conditions of Service Applicable to the Post
- The Vice Chancellor shall hold office for a single term of five (5) years only on such terms and conditions as may be specified in the letter of appointment.
- The remuneration and other conditions of service are as applicable to the post of Vice Chancellor in all Nigerian Federal Universities and as may be determined from time to time by the Government / Governing Council as appropriate.
Application Closing Date
28th September, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Application accompanied by 25 copies of Curriculum Vitae duly signed and dated by the candidates. The Curriculum Vitae must contain the following:
- Full nName
- Date of birth,
- State of origin,
- Marital status,
- Educational attainment,
- Professional and academic achievements and any other relevant information.
Each application should include the names and addresses of three referees. Each referee should be contacted by the applicant to forward direct to the Registrar, a confidential report in a properly sealed envelope marked: “Post of Vice-Chancellor – Referee’s Report” at the top left-hand corner of the envelope.
Each application must be accompanied by 25 printed copies of the statement of the candidate’s Vision for the University in the twenty-first century.
In the case of candidates identified by the Search Team, the application shall conform to the requirements in (i) to (iii) above, in addition to a letter of consent duly signed by the candidate.
All applications shall be submitted under confidential cover and addressed to:
The Registrar and Secretary to Council,
Federal University Gashua,
The sealed envelope(s) containing the applications should be marked “Post of Vice-Chancellor” at the top left-hand corner and forwarded to reach the Registrar.
Note: Candidates should please note that only those who are shortlisted will be contacted.
Leave a Reply