The U.S. Mission to Nigeria comprises of the Embassy in Abuja, FCT, and the Consulate General in Lagos. U.S. Consulate General Lagos is the Mission’s representative to the Nigerian people in the southern region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Travel Coordinator – U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFMs)
Announcement Number: Lagos-2020-023RA-2
Hiring Agency: Consulate General Lagos
Series / Grade: FP – 0910 8
Promotion Potential: FP-8
Work Schedule: Full-time – 40 hours per week
- Hiring Path: Open to the public
- Who May Apply / Clarification From the Agency: For USEFM – FP is 8. Actual FP salary determined by Washington D.C.
- U.S Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFMs)
- Security Clearance Required: Secret
- Appointment Type: Permanent
- Appointment Type Details: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
- Marketing Statement: We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
- The work schedule for this position is: Full Time (40 hours per week)
- Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (6 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and / or clearances / certifications or their candidacy may end.
- Supervisory Position: No
- Relocation Expenses Reimbursed: No
- Travel Required: Not Required
- Incumbent will coordinate all USG official travel in the U.S. Consulate Lagos District and track all USG employee movements.
- Based on contact and open source reporting, the incumbent will make recommendations concerning travel to the RSO for his / her final approval.
- S / he will communication and coordinate with U.S. Government employees on all official travel in Nigeria and more specifically the US Consulate Lagos District, in accordance with the mission Travel Policy and all applicable U.S. Government guidelines and regulations.
- S / he will stay up to date with current threats via daily contact with RSO or his / her delegate, RSOs of other foreign missions, NGOs, Nigeria police and open source information (newspaper, internet, television).
- Incumbent will refer to information gathered from contacts and open source when submitting travel recommendations to RSO.
- Maintain a weekly travel publication to be disseminated to RSO and section heads.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- Experience: Two years experience in clerical duties using Microsoft Word, Excel, Access and Outlook on a daily basic is required.
- Job Knowledge: Incumbent must be familiar with safety and security aspects of airline travel in Nigeria, including applicable guidelines set by Post, U.S and Nigeria and how to interact with Nigeria police officials and their stringent protocols of communication.
- Education Requirements: Completion of Secondary School or received high school diploma
- Evaluations: This may be tested. Please specify in your application your level of proficiency in the language listed.
- Language: Fluency in Speaking/Reading and Writing English is required.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to independently process information relating to travel security and provide advice to the Senior RSO is required.
- Must be tactful but effective in dealing with USG travelers and have management intelligence and ability to establish and maintain contacts with LE Staff and Americans
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO):
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Lagos, Nigeria may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
- The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
Hiring Preference Selection Process:
- Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- **This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
- For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
USD $33,685 / Annum
Application Closing Date
28th September, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Secret clearance.
- To apply for this position click the “Submit Application” button. For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site.
- In order to qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested diploma and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to provide requested information, or the information you submit is insufficient to verify your eligibility, you will not be considered for this position.
- Copy of Orders / Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- Residency and / or Work Permit
- Degree with transcript
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
- For further information – the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
- Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Lagos, Nigeria.
Leave a Reply