FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology – creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Assistant Technical Officer, Nursing
Location: Borno (Gamboru Ngala LGA)
Job type: Full-time
Supervisor: Technical Officer, Health and Nutrition Services
- Northeast Nigeria is currently facing a growing humanitarian crisis with a vast number of Internally Displaced Persons in need of emergency assistance. These IDPs are living among host communities, lacking access to livelihoods and resources, ultimately leading to unprecedented levels of malnutrition and food insecurity. FHI 360 has been working in Nigeria for over 30 years and is now expanding activities in Borno state to respond to the IDP crisis.
- FHI 360 is expanding its expertise by responding to this humanitarian crisis through integrated WASH, Health and Protection interventions
- Providing nursing care, treatment and follow-up of patients, according to doctors’ prescriptions, protocols applied in service and universal hygiene standards / precautions, in order to ensure the quality and continuity of care for the targeted population.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensuring patients are properly received and installed and that those with lack of autonomy are assisted, especially regarding their feeding, personal hygiene, movements and comfort.
- For ER and OPD nurse, ensuring triage of patients in waiting areas, wards or during emergencies, detecting the priority acute/emergency cases, carrying out first aid care and referring them to the doctor when necessary.
- Knowing, promoting, implementing and following up the universal hygiene standards/ precautions.
- Organizing and carrying out care and treatments according to medical prescriptions, and assisting during consultations, daily rounds and other medical procedures.
- Participating in health education of the patient (and family) when necessary.
- Carrying out admission, surveillance and follow-up of patients (i.e. assessment of the evolution of their state of health and the identification of any emergency situation or deterioration.
- Carrying and supervising administrative procedures and documents (fill in patient’s files, forms, consumptions, statistics, registers, health files, etc.)
Standard Minimum qualification:
- B.Sc. Nursing, Public Health or other closely related field with 1-3 years relevant experience.
- Must be a Registered Nurse
- Familiarity with Nigerian public sector health systems and NGOs and CBOs is highly desirable.
- Previous experience working in a humanitarian organization is highly desirable
- Understanding of Kanuri is a plus
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes:
- Ability and willingness to stay at the LGA is required.
- Ability to respect and maintain medical secrets and confidentiality at all times.
- Willingness and capacity to be flexible and accommodating when faced with difficult and frustrating working conditions like long distance walking to distribution sites.
- Excellent spoken and written Local and English languages.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Previous experience working in clinical setting is an asset.
- Ability to prepare weekly and monthly program reports.
- Be flexible and adaptable with regards to the implementation of the daily work
- Results quality Orientation, Teamwork, Flexibility, Service Orientation, Stress Management
- Problem solving skills and ability to multi-task
- Compassionate with good communication skills
- Excellent teamwork skills
- Must be computer literate
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- This job posting summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
- FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law.
Leave a Reply