Green Habitat Initiative (GHI) is a non-profit non-governmental organization promoting the achievement of SDG 6 (clean water) and SDG 11 (sustainable cities and communities) in Nigeria. Incorporated in 2016 in Nigeria, GHI has worked in various sectors such as environmental sustainability, urban planning, sustainable urban development, urban agriculture, social urban innovations, architecture, WASH, solid waste management, recycling activities, environmental activism, etc.
GHI has worked with various local and international partners such as VINNOVA Group Sweden, French Institute Nigeria, Energies 2050, Embassies of Germany, France and Czech, The Water Mechanics, Baze University, One Environment, Stop Don’t Drop, etc. to deliver its projects.
We are recruiting qualified Nigerian candidates to fill the position below:
Job Title: IT / GIS Specialist
Locations: Abuja (Head office), Kebbi, Sokoto and Niger
Duration: 2 years
Reports to: COP
Travel: 75% (to Kebbi, Sokoto and Niger States)
About the Project
- GHI is working towards implementing The Project for Improved Sustainability of Integrated WASH Services (I-WASH) project in 4 states; Kebbi, Niger, Sokoto and the FCT in collaboration with USAID.
- The project components involves integrating WASH-WRM and watershed studies for the associated catchments in the region. The activities will include provision of integrated WASH facilities, watershed studies of the river basins associated with the 4 states, remote monitoring of the WASH facilities and community advocacy. Expected start date is January 2021 and for a period of 2 years.
- Our ideal candidate has a robust experience working on Internet-of-Things (IoT) and GIS.
- The candidate is expected to lead the project component of real-time monitoring of boreholes functionality in rural communities.
- The specialist will support all Monitoring and Evaluation initiatives and data related activities of the project.
- The specialist will support the team in preparing technical specifications of the appropriate hardware and software required to create the required GIS database.
- She/he will coordinate with the project team to recommend a GIS system including the themes and layers to be used.
- The specialist will support spatial data collection, cleaning, quality assurance and analyses.
- Routinely update analysis and maps as required on the project and share these in appropriate and timely manner
- The specialist will work closely with the COP in proposing strategies to increase data use and demand amongst program staff and support the program staff on ways to properly organize and capture program progress and document lessons learned.
- Perform other duties relating to the project assigned by the supervisor.
- B.Sc in Geography, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Geology, Surveying, Urban Planning and Geographic Information Systems or similar.
- Relevant working knowledge of specialized software GIS packages: ArcGIS and QGIS to inform the development of web maps and multiple data visualization options; including the deployment of field based mobile data collection devices (i.e. ODK, CAPI, Kobo toolbox, etc)
- General knowledge of IT skills, including the use and manipulation of SQL databases and spreadsheets and programming languages (R, Python, etc)
- Proficiency in at least one statistical analysis package is an added advantage.
- Experience in map production, complex spatial data collection and management.
- Develop hardened local IoT device software including monitoring, execution and self-healing processes
- At least 5 years experience working on IoT, GIS, sensors and similar technologies.
- Firm understanding of IoT architecture and principles
- Have proficiency in website development
- Build services that communicate with our server technologies
- Problem-solve issues with remote deployment
Application Closing Date
27th September, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send in their application documents to: firstname.lastname@example.org using “IT / GIS Specialist” as the subject of the email.
- CV (maximum 3 pages). Must include 2 references from current and previous employers. CVs must be result oriented and not task oriented.
- A one page cover letter explaining your interest in participating in the project and why you are the best person for the role.
- These position is contigent upon grant award.
- We will recruit once we find the right candidate, so we strongly advise you to submit your applications as soon as possible.
- Female applicants are strongly encouraged
Leave a Reply