The Nigerian Red Cross Society (NRCS) was established through an Act of the Parliament in 1960 to complement public authorities in humanitarian interventions with the mandate to prevent and alleviate human suffering at times of peace or conflict, and to support individuals and communities to respond effectively to emergencies, without any form of discrimination as to class, gender, race, political opinions or religion.
We are recruitign to fill the position below:
Job Title: Community Health Nurse
Location: Sardauna and Takum LGAs, Taraba State
Reports to: Project Officer
Duration: 3 months Extendable
- Since the conflict in southern Cameroon began in October 2016, displaced persons cross the border into neighboring Nigeria in search of safety, stability and a better life. As of 31 October 2019, there are more than 46,000 Cameroonian refugees registered in Cross River, Benue, Taraba, and Akwa Ibom States in the south-eastern region of Nigeria.
- With support from UNHCR, Nigerian Red Cross Society (NRCS) is implementing the project seeks to strengthen access and delivery of quality healthcare and nutrition services to 6000 Cameroon refugees and host communities in Taraba state of Nigeria.
- NRCS focus on strengthening the health care systems in refugees host communities in Takum and Sardauna LGAs of Taraba State through support to free delivery of healthcare to pregnant women, children under 5 years of age, the elderly (above 60years of age) and most vulnerable including but not limited to the disable and mentally ill. The project also support medical outreach and referral linkages of affected population to national free priority health interventions including but not limited to immunization, HIV care, and sexual and reproductive health in order to improve health outcomes.
- Community Health Nurse will assist the individual, family and community in attaining their highest level of holistic health.
- He / She will provide and promote healthy lifestyle choices through education, public awareness and community outreach activities to refugees and the host community.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Work collaboratively with PHC personnel to provide patient care, patient advocacy and planning of care
- Identification of outreach sites and referral of clients for continuity of care and other health services
- Conduct planning, execution and monitoring of community engagement and outreach activities.
- Ensure the involvement and active participation of persons of concerns and host community through a range of community-level activities.
- Schedule weekly meetings with all outreach teams to address gaps identified, verifying records for service data, referrals, and inputting data into approved service tools.
- In collaboration with other Protection staff, ensure that regular assessment is conducted to ascertain community view of protection activities and how best to ensure that the condition of women, girls and children are improved at the community level.
- Actively participate in planning and facilitation of feedback, learning and consultation meetings or sessions with target population and communities.
- Support documentation of best practices and lessons learnt
- Compile and submit weekly progress reports to the line manager.
- Carry out any other task as assigned by the line manager.
- Core Clinical duties
- Record medical history and symptoms
- Collaborate with team to plan patient care
- Monitor patient health and record signs
- Administer medication and treatments
- Educate patient about management of Illnesses
- Examining and monitoring of Pregnant women (Pre-natal, delivery of new born and post-natal care).
- Helping patient to cope with Miscarriage, Termination, still birth and neonatal death.
- Responsible for HIV counseling and Referral of Patients.
- Handle all malnutrition cases and make referral when necessary
- Responsible for Family planning counseling and make referral when make necessary.
- Observe and manage all SGBV cases and make referral when necessary
- Serve as Refugee focal person in the PHC
- Undertake any other responsibility as designated by PO, PM, NRCS Management
Qualifications / Experience
- Must be a Registered Nurse or Midwife
- Ability and willingness to stay at the LGA is required
- Demonstrate knowledge and experience of working in a PHC setting
- Demonstrate experience in management and supervision of outreach services
- Demonstrate experience working in a multi-cultural/religious setting.
- Must possess a minimum of 2-3 years’ experience in a community-based setting
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes:
- Ability and willingness to stay at the project sites is required
- Ability to respect and maintain medical secrets and confidentiality at all times
- Willingness and capacity to be flexible and accommodating when faced with difficult and frustrating working conditions like long distance walking to distribution sites.
- High level of integrity
- Excellent written and oral proficiency in the local language.
- Excellent Advocacy skills
- In-depth Knowledge of MNCH
- Technical knowledge of reproductive health and modern contraceptive methods.
- Excellent report writing
- Coordination and team-building skills
- Strong interpersonal communication and collaboration skills
- Ability to multitask and work with minimal supervision
- Excellent MS Office skills (including Word, Excel, Power-point etc.)
Application Closing Date
16th October, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications to: email@example.com with the Position applied for as the subject of the mail and candidates full name as the title of attachment.
Note: Only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Leave a Reply