ACTED has been committed since 1993, to immediate humanitarian relief to support those in urgent need and protect people’s dignity, while co-creating longer term opportunities for sustainable growth and fulfilling people’s potential. ACTED, headquartered in Paris, France is present in four continents and our teams intervene in 37 countries with 16.7 million Beneficiaries and over 8million people, responding to emergency situations, supporting rehabilitation projects, and accompanying the dynamics of development. Over 5,000 staff are dedicated to implementing and developing our projects.
Considering the displacement in the north-eastern part of Nigeria, ACTED has set up an office in Maiduguri to respond to the humanitarian needs. ACTED is therefore looking to fill the position below:
Job Title: Roving Security Officer
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Job Type: Contract
About the Job
Under the leadership and authority of the ACTED Country director, the direct management of the Country Security Manager (CSM), and the supervision of the Senior Security and Liaison Officer (SSLO); the IMPACT Roving Security Officer (RSO) responsibilities are, but not limited to:
Staff / Program and Premises Safety / Security:
- Provides general supervision to the guard force in the deployment area(s).
- Conduct regular reviews of ACTED facility physical security measures and produce/update compound security profile and security assessment reports.
- Assist the SSLO by providing weekly department briefings to the guard force in your deployment area. Deliver monthly SOP training to the guard force in your deployment area.
- Assist the CSM with planning and conducting emergency response drills.
- Conduct inspections of the fire safety equipment every quarter and report findings to the CSM.
- Conduct spot checks of the guard force to ensure they are working in accordance with SOP’s. Inspect guard force equipment each week and report any damages or losses to the CSM.
- Conduct morning and afternoon atmospheric assessments when in field locations. Report concerns to the CSM immediately.
- Produce, review and update area security risk assessments every six months for your assigned areas of responsibility.
- Deploy to potential new areas of intervention to conduct security risk assessments when required.
- Receive and review security clearance requests and process in a timely manner.
- Conduct daily pre-deployment security briefs and post-deployment de-briefs with field staff.
- Provide area security briefings to staff visiting from other ACTED areas.
- Deliver security SOP training twice annually, to ACTED staff in your assigned area.
- Liaise with various key stakeholders on behalf of ACTED senior management.
Transport / Movement Safety and Security:
- Inspect vehicles prior to field movement, ensuring they are fully equipped with breakdown kit, fire extinguishers, medical kits, serviceable seatbelts, and a functional locking system.
- Monitor security information and security alerts and notify field teams of ongoing incidents immediately.
- Liaise with external security sources before and during staff movement, to ensure security information is up to date.
- Deploy with field teams on a weekly basis to review staff conduct in accordance with security SOP’s, update actor mapping, update activity site risk assessment and assess atmospherics.
Communication / Reporting:
- Share security information with the ACTED countrywide security department, for filtering and verification.
- Always be reachable by either mobile phone, email, or satellite phone.
- Attend meetings relating to security and area access and submit a meeting summary to the head of department.
- Submit a weekly security summary specific to your assigned area(s) to the head of department, outlining security incidents, no go areas, route security updates and significant operations of armed state and non-state actors.
- Submit a monthly security report to the head of department covering your assigned areas, including incident analysis, trend analysis, armed state and non-state actor analysis and route security updates.
- Submit a Security Incident Report (SIR) to the head of department within six hours from when an incident involving ACTED mission staff occurs.
- Attend security department meetings and provide feedback for you assigned area. Provide context or post-incident analysis during department meetings.
- Collect satellite phone logbooks at the end of each month and submit to the logistic department.
- Build positive collaborative relationships with staff from partner organizations.
- Proactively ensure that the reputation of ACTED Nigeria and partners is promoted in your assigned areas and address any potential reputational challenges.
- Attend INSO training courses in accordance with the CSM’s capacity building plan. Provide feedback to the CSM after course completion.
- Attend training and mentoring sessions led by the CSM or SSLO.
- Assist the CSM with delivering the mission annual security training plan in designated field locations.
- Comply with ACTED’s Code of Conduct, and additional instructions, directives, and policies received during the hiring process, trainings or from the CSM and SSLO.
- Be prepared to provide leave relief for the SSLO or another SLO, in accordance with department leave scheduled.
- All employees should master ACTED’s core Principles: Independence, Neutrality, Non-discrimination, free and direct access to victims, Ethics, Professionalism, anti-Corruption, Transparency and Accountability
Moreover, we also expect the following:
- At least 5 years of experience in a security officer role or above.
- Extensive experience and ability in operating Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Exemplary communication and organization skills.
- Self-motivated, enthusiastic and can deliver results with minimal supervision.
- Previous experience delivering security trainings.
- Demonstratable analytical and report writing ability.
- A detailed understanding of the security environment in Nigeria’s northeast, northwest and middle belt regions.
- Must be adaptable, willing to be deployed for long periods in high-pressure areas countrywide.
- Advanced proficiency in spoken and written English and Hausa.
- Willingness to work in remote areas under basic living conditions.
- Ability to work to a high standard in unstable and frequently changing security environments.
- An established network of security contacts countrywide.
- Experience working with local authorities and representatives of the different local communities in Nigeria’s northeast, northwest and middle belt regions.
- Previous experience in the humanitarian field.
- Previous experience managing security information, conducting analysis, and producing detailed security reports.
- Previous experience in the security forces.
- Contract length: 6 months with possibility of extension
- Level: D2-1 (national contract)
- Start date: 1st Nov 2020.
Application Closing Date
28th October, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Application Process / Notice
- All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English.
- CV and Cover Letter indicating and explaining the suitability to the position applied.
- Provide contact details (name, position, email address and tel. no.) of 3 professional non-related references, whereas 1 must be for the latest employer and the other the HR Rep of your latest Organisation. Please do not attach any written recommendations.
- Applications should be addressed to: The Recruitment Manager.
- Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered. CV-only applications will not be considered. Please note: The position title and location must be written in the subject line of the e-mail otherwise not considered.
- ACTED considers all applicants based on merit without regard to race, sex, colour, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability.
- CVs will be review on rolling bases.
- Due to the large numbers of expected applicants ACTED will only inform shortlisted candidates. We apologise for the inconvenience. Only short-listed applicants will be invited for written test and oral interview.
- For general information about ACTED, please consult: www.acted.org