The Clinton Health Access Initiative, Inc. (CHAI) is a global health organization committed to saving lives and reducing the burden of disease in low-and middle-income countries, while strengthening the capabilities of governments and the private sector in those countries to create and sustain high-quality health systems that can succeed without our assistance.
CHAI’s global malaria program provides direct technical and operational support to countries around the globe to strengthen their malaria programs and reduce the burden of this preventable, treatable disease. We support governments to scale up effective interventions for prevention, diagnosis, treatment, and surveillance, with the goals of sustainably reducing the number of malaria-related illnesses and deaths worldwide in the short-term and accelerating progress towards malaria elimination in the long term.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Health Information Associate – Developer (Africa)
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Job Type: Full Time
Program (Division): Infectious Disease – Global Malaria
Additional Location Description: Eswatini
Overview of Role
- CHAI is seeking a highly motivated individual to work as a Health Information Associate, Developer and play a critical role to help governmental programs improve how they collect, analyze, and use data to accelerate efforts towards malaria elimination.
- They will work with CHAI staff to configure and develop software applications for malaria surveillance use cases, and help build in-country capacity at the CHAI and government levels on the application of information technology for data collection, management, analysis, and use.
- The Associate will support CHAI malaria’s West Africa, East Africa and Southern Africa regional teams to update software configurations, develop scripts, assist in server administration, and provide technical support to end-users. A successful candidate will need to work with team members across CHAI’s Global, Regional and Country Malaria Teams and will therefore need to possess strong communication, organizational, and management skills as well as be able to work independently to drive implementation and have deep personal commitment to producing results.
- CHAI places great value on relevant personal qualities including resourcefulness, tenacity, independence, patience, humility, and strong work ethic.
- This position will be ideally based in Mbabane, Eswatini or Abuja, Nigeria; or other countries within Africa based on country leadership approvals.
Across countries and projects, the Associate will have the following responsibilities:
Software configuration and development (60%):
- Configure, update, and thoroughly test DHIS2 core set up, including updates to organisation units, data elements, indicators, data collection forms, and dashboards based on country requirements and feedback from users
- Support configuring and comprehensive testing of DHIS2 android applications for country-specific configurations
- Built scripts for data manipulation and processing to stress test system load, build customizations in DHIS2, run analytics on data integrity, and reproduce system functionality to ensure systems data quality
- Support systems integration efforts as needed, primarily between DHIS2 instances, and between DHIS2 and other systems
Technology Implementation and Training (30%):
- Assist with capacity building for government staff by developing manuals, SOPs, training materials and helping train country staff in the use of information technology
- Develop testing templates and lead end to end testing processes of different information systems prior to roll-out
- Develop and iterate on data outputs to effectively build dashboards and reports for decision-making
Requirements Gathering and System Design (10%):
- Work with CHAI regional Health Information teams to understand technological and non-technological requirements for malaria surveillance across epidemiology, vector control, entomology, health promotion, and commodity use cases
- Develop coherent and technology-appropriate specifications for meeting user requirements across countries and regions, particularly DHIS2-appropriate specifications
Other responsibilities as needed.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a relevant field (Information Systems, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, etc.) required
- At least two years’ working experience as a software developer, technical product manager, or in a similar role delivering technology solutions
- Proven experience working with DHIS2 installation, configuration of aggregate and tracker workflows, customization and roll-out
- Experience in integration of information management systems
- Experience in system administration
- Experience in server set up and hardware management
- Proven experience in implementing technology-based solutions with users
- Familiarity with emerging technologies for data collection and reporting (including experience using open source data collection tools like ODK, and BI tools like PowerBI and Tableau); comfort with developing complex data collection forms and dashboards preferred
- Experience in data management (including managing databases) and data analysis
- Ability to be effective, calm, and flexible in high-pressure situations, to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and to effectively prioritize
- Ability to communicate effectively with people of varied professional and cultural backgrounds
- Ability to travel approximately 25-50% of the year.
- Any statistical and geospatial analysis experience (R, SAS, STATA, ArcGIS and/or other relevant software)
- Knowledge of malaria or other global infectious diseases; and understanding of disease surveillance (including surveillance platforms) with knowledge of global health issues
- Experience living or working in resource-limited countries
- Experience working and communicating with government officials and multilateral organizations.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Leave a Reply