The Kwara government has suspended this year’s Eid durbar earlier scheduled for Wednesday (today) for security reasons.
The cancellation is contained in a statement issued by Rabiat Abdulrahman, a permanent secretary in the state’s communications ministry.
The Kwara government announced this in Ilorin on Tuesday night.
“The suspension, painful as it is given our people’s attachment to it and government’s investments to promote this colourful cultural heritage, follows a police intelligence report which indicated that some forces plan to use the boisterous nature of the cultural event to instigate a breakdown of law and order in the state, thereby complicating national security challenges,” the statement said.
YOU MAY LIKE:
- 45-Year-Old ‘Fake Philanthropist’ Arrested In Enugu, 18 Fraudulently Obtained Rice Bags Recovered
- Presidential Guards Brigade Placed On High Alert Over Suspicions Of Coup Plot In Nigeria; Key Brigades Under Watch As Commander Holds Emergency Meetings With Tinubu, Gbajabiamila
- BREAKING: Tinubu holds crucial meeting with Dangote, Elumelu, others
- Police arrest car thief in Nasarawa
- BREAKING: FCT Minister Of State’s Residence On Fire
It added, “Government reiterates its commitment to the protection of lives and property of all residents of the state, as that is its primary obligation. We urge all residents of the state to continue to cooperate with the law enforcement agencies.
“The government once again congratulates Kwarans on the Eid-ul-Kabir celebrations and bids everyone many blessed Eid in the coming years.”