EXCLUSIVE: Why Sunday Igboho Was Returned To Police Custody After Six-Hour Trial

Share this:

Yoruba Nation activist, Sunday Adeyemo, also known as Sunday Igboho, on Thursday evening with his wife was tried before the Cour D’appel De Cotonou, Benin Republic, for about six hours over the two passports he had and the legality of the extradition request from Nigeria.

One of the Beninese Court officials told SaharaReporters that Igboho could not be released because the court was prosecuting Igboho’s case in relation to the extradition request from Nigeria and not because he committed any offence in the West African country.

IgbohoSunday Igboho

“That was why he was returned to the police custody and not remanded in the prison. Igboho was carrying only two passports – his German and Nigerian passports, and so, the Beninese government had no issues with him. He was already on the plane with his wife when he was identified and arrested.

“So, he was returned to the police custody so that the extradition hearing could continue on Friday (today) or possibly Monday. If he were a criminal suspect in Benin Republic, he would have been remanded in prison,” the official said.

SaharaReporters had reported that the Cour De’appal De Cotonou, Benin Republic, where Igboho and his wife were arraigned on Thursday ordered the wife to be released the same evening.

SaharaReporters had learnt from court officials that the court ruled that Igboho should be returned to custody.

“They just finished from court. The wife is to be released tonight and Sunday is to remain in custody. The matter was adjourned till Friday,” an official had said.

SaharaReporters had reported that Sunday Igboho was awaiting his fate at the Cour D’appel De Cotonou, Benin Republic, following his arraignment by the authorities of the country.

Igboho was taken to court on Thursday afternoon.


A source had told SaharaReporters that the activist was not for extradition to Nigeria. 

SaharaReporters had reported how Benin Republic police on Monday night arrested Igboho at Cardinal Bernardin International Airport in Cotonou, while trying to fly from the country to Germany.

The Department of State Services (DSS) had on July 1 raided the residence of the activist in Ibadan, Oyo state.

Igboho alongside others had planned to hold a ”Yoruba Nation Rally” in Lagos two days after the raid.

The DSS raided the residence, killing two people and arresting over 10 of his associates but Igboho escaped.

The agency alleged that Igboho was stockpiling weapons, and subsequently declared him wanted.

Source:Sahara reporter

Share this:

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.