Fire guts Bayelsa medical university female hostel

Share this:

An early morning fire has gutted parts of a female hostel on the campus of the State Medical University, located along Imgbi Road in Yenagoa, Bayelsa State.

It was learned that the fire started at about 6:40 am and was caused by an electrical spark while a student was ironing her clothes.

According to the Nigerian Tribune, upon noticing the fire, the student immediately raised an alarm, causing panic among other students who then hurried to find safety.


Personnel from the Federal and Bayelsa State Fire Services promptly responded to the emergency and successfully prevented the fire from spreading to other rooms in the block.

The Vice Chancellor of the institution, Prof. Ebitimitula Etebu, and the Chief Security Officer, Phillip Diete-Spiff, expressed their appreciation to the fire service officials for their swift response to the emergency.

Fortunately, no lives were lost, and no physical injuries were sustained by the students. However, personal belongings of the affected room’s occupants, including documents and clothes, were destroyed by the fire.

Share this:

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.