Mike Ozekhome’s kidnappers sentenced to 20 years’ imprisonment

Share this:

The Abuja Division of the Federal High Court (FHC) on Friday convicted and sentenced two of the four defendants alleged to have kidnapped Mike Ozekhome, SAN, to a 20-year jail term each.

Justice Binta Nyako, in a judgment, held that the prosecution had been able to establish the counts preferred against Kelvin Ezeigbe and Frank Azuekor, who were the first and second defendants, beyond reasonable doubt.

Justice Nyako held that the sentence would run from the day of their arrest.

The judge, however, discharged and acquitted Michael Omonigho and Momoh Haruna, who were third and fourth defendants, of the counts levelled against them in the terrorism charge.

She held that though some counts against Messrs Ezeigbe and Azuekor attracted punishment ranging from death sentence, life imprisonment to at least 10 years jail term, she had found that the accused had been remorseful of their criminal act.

Ms Nyako said she also found that they had been in custody for about 10 years since their arrest.

While Mr Omonigho, who was said to be the chief priest, was in court, Mr Haruna was not.

When Ms Nyako warned Mr Omonigho to be careful as people worship in his shrine in the open court, the chief priest responded thus: “I have repented, my lord.”

The judge, however, directed that Mr Haruna, who was at large, should be brought to court to face the sin of his escape from lawful custody, even though he was discharged of the counts against him.

The judge commended the defence lawyer, Bala Dakum, and the prosecution counsel, Chioma Onuegbu, for their input in the trial.

The defendants were first arraigned before Justice Adeniyi Ademola of a FHC on June 9, 2014, on a 13-count charge bordering on conspiracy, armed robbery, kidnapping and acts of terrorism.

While the three defendants were in court, Mr Haruna was said to be missing after the attack on Kuje Correctional Centre by terrorists on July 5, 2022.

They were accused of committing acts of terrorism, contrary to sections 1, 8 and 10 of the Terrorism Prevention Act, 2011.

They kidnapped Mr Ozekhome on August 23, 2013, in Iruekpen on his way to Iviukwe in Agenebode, Edo.

Mr Ozekhome was held in captivity for about three weeks before his release, allegedly following the payment of N28 million ransom.

They were also accused of kidnapping Delta State Commissioner for Higher Education Hope Eghagha, Athanasius Ugbme and his friend, Emmanuel Maka Omorogbe, and killing five police officers and two prison officials.

The defendants allegedly compelled Mr Eghagha to pay N7 million, Mr Ugbome paid N20 million, and Mr Omorogbe N3.5 million.

The five police officers allegedly killed were Paul Ajaka, Sunday Ewanshiha, Michael Akpada, Bakary Ekong and Innocent Odoh.

They also allegedly killed Lawrence Edora and Oyibo Okoye, who were prison officers and made away with their service rifles.

The four suspects were refused bail filed on their behalf by their lawyer, Bala Dakum.

While Messrs Ezeigbe and Azuekor had been held at the State Security Service (SSS) facility, Messrs Omonigho and Haruna were held at Kuje Correctional Centre, Abuja.

(NAN)


Share this:

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.