Nigerian Police Release Suspects Arrested Over Killing Of Labour Party Candidate In Enugu, Oyibo Chukwu, Family Kicks

Share this:

It had been reported that Chief Oyibo Chukwu, a former Chairman of the Nigerian Bar Association Oji-River Branch was murdered on February 22, barely two days before the February 25, 2023, presidential and National Assembly elections.

The family of the late Victor Oyibo Chukwu, a candidate of the Labour Party for the Enugu East Senatorial district who was gruesomely murdered and body incinerated alongside his assistant and the driver, has accused the Nigeria Police Force of a cover-up and complicity.

It had been reported that Chief Oyibo Chukwu, a former Chairman of the Nigerian Bar Association Oji-River Branch was murdered on February 22, barely two days before the February 25, 2023, presidential and National Assembly elections.

The late NBA chairman who was contesting the senatorial election against the former governor of Enugu State and a sitting senator then, Dr Chimaroke Nnamani, who was favoured by all public opinion to defeat Nnamani before his murder.

Although his younger brother Kelvin was nominated by the Labour Party and later defeated Nnamani to represent Enugu East Senatorial District at the red chamber of the National Assembly, the family said the police are doing everything possible to cover up his assassination and shield the perpetrators because the government actors were allegedly involved in the murder.

Oyibo’s immediate younger brother, Chief Lucky Chukwu, who spoke exclusively to SaharaReporters in an interview during a valedictory court session on Friday, revealed that the police in Enugu state had released all the people arrested in connection with the murder of his brother and friends.

Giving a graphic picture of the incident, Lucky said that the first attempt to assassinate his late brother was during one of his campaigns at Akwuke in the same Enugu South Local Government, and some of the assassins were arrested with AK-47 rifles, yet the police released.

Asked about the level of investigation into the killing of his brother, Lucky said: “Nothing is going on, it is the same security agencies that we have, especially police.

“The first attempt to kill my elder brother was at Akwuke, and some of the boys were caught and taken to the State CID. Nothing happened because somebody was a governor and Chimaroke Nnamani was contesting for senate, they were released. When Owelle (his brother) was assassinated and his body sent ablaze I equally wrote to the police, that Chimaroke knows about what happened to my brother and the government knows – the government of Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi.

“They know what happened to my elder brother. How can you withdraw a combined team of soldiers and Mobile policemen that guided that axis a day before they killed him, it has never happened, you see now it happened the governor did not issue a statement condemning the act but when Dons Ude was killed he quickly rushed to their family and gave them N5 million.

“So you can put the two together, you get the point but it will never go unpunished. We are still pursuing justice and we have involved DSS so that it will be clinical.” 


Share this:

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.