
SaharaReporters had reported that on Sunday that the suspicions prompted emergency meetings involving the Commander of the Presidential Guards Brigade, Col. Adebisi Onasanya, President Bola Tinubu and the Chief of Staff, Femi Gbajabiamila.
The Nigerian Army has denied that there are suspicions of a coup plot in the country against the present government of Bola Tinubu.
SaharaReporters had reported that on Sunday that the suspicions prompted emergency meetings involving the Commander of the Presidential Guards Brigade, Col. Adebisi Onasanya, President Bola Tinubu and the Chief of Staff, Femi Gbajabiamila.
“The Presidential Guards Brigade was placed on high alert after unusual armoured corps movement spurred coup suspicion,
“Last week, Col. Onasanya met with the President and Chief of Staff twice within 20 hours.
“They have also placed key brigades under watch due to planned protest,” a top Presidency source told SaharaReporters.
There has been tension in the country amid the current hardship, rising inflation and high cost of living following the removal of fuel subsidy and floating of the naira by President Tinubu’s administration.
The floating of the naira allows the market forces to determine its value. The policies have pushed up the prices of goods and services astronomically, increased the rate of inflation and worsened hardship in the country.
But reacting to the report, Acting Director of Defence Information, Brig. Gen. Tukur Gusau, in a press statement issued on Sunday, said the reported suspicion of a coup is not true and misleading.
He said, “The Defence Headquarters wishes to categorically state that the allegation is totally false. For the avoidance of doubt, the Guards Brigade has been statutorily assigned the responsibility of protecting the seat of power (The Presidency) and by extension the Federal Capital Territory and its environs.
“Hence, it is to be noted that the Guards Brigade has always been on high alert in order to effectively executive its assigned tasks.
“It will be recalled that the Chief of Defence Staff, General Christopher Musa OFR had in various fora reiterated the unalloyed commitment of members of the Armed Forces of Nigeria to the protection and sustenance of democracy in Nigeria.
“Therefore, the Defence Headquarters strongly condemn this unsubstantiated assertion which is just a figment of imagination of the publisher and enjoins members of the public to disregard it.
“Furthermore, the Defence Headquarters calls on relevant security agencies to immediately take appropriate action against the Sahara Reporters for this unpatriotic action.”
“Meanwhile, the Defence Headquarters will seek legal redress on the issue which has the ulterior motive of creating unnecessary tension in the country,” the statement added.
Leave a Reply