Days after regaining their freedom, the 38 abducted members of the Christ Apostolic Church, Oke Isegun, Eruku, Kwara State, have yet to be reunited with their families.
The worshippers, kidnapped by bandits on November 18 during a special thanksgiving service in Eruku, Ekiti Local Government Area, were freed last Sunday and moved to Ilorin by government officials.
Three persons were killed and one other injured during the attack.
Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq had announced their release in a statement issued by his Chief Press Secretary, Rafiu Ajakaye.
Although the statement did not disclose how the victims were freed, the Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, said no ransom was paid, insisting the government only negotiated with the captors.
Multiple sources disclosed that despite completing medical examinations sponsored by the state government, the worshippers were still being sheltered in an undisclosed hotel in Ilorin, PUNCH reports.
Relatives who spoke with newsmen, expressed growing anxiety over the delay, noting that they had expected the worshippers to return home immediately after the official announcement.
A family member, who requested anonymity for security reasons, said the prolonged wait had become emotionally draining. “The government told us they are taking care of them. We celebrated when we heard they had been released, but since that day, they have not arrived in Eruku. We miss them and want them back home,” he said.
Another relative said conflicting reports about the victims’ whereabouts had heightened worries within the community. “We only saw them in the news and spoke with them on phone. They said they were safe, but seeing them again will gladden our hearts,” she said.
Community sources also dismissed speculation that families contributed money for the release.
“We only received calls from security officials that they had been freed and taken to the Government House for medical attention,” one of them said.
A senior government official confirmed that the victims were still undergoing medical and psychological evaluation.
“They went through trauma, especially the young ones and the elderly. The government wants to give them the best care before returning them home,” the source said, adding that no ransom was paid.
Residents of Eruku said while they appreciated the government’s intervention, they were eager to receive the worshippers back for proper community healing.
Leave a Reply